Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Mission Statement
NSC welcomes and empowers immigrants to thrive in our communities and pursue a just future. We center our work in our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, knowing that our city, state, and nation are strengthened by the contributions of immigrants from every region of the world. Our vision is that all immigrants achieve a life of safety and stability, sustainable opportunities, and meaningful community connections. In pursuit of this vision, we advocate for policies and practices that respect human rights and that promote racial and social justice.
Systemic racism and discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, language, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, age, ability, immigration status, and other aspects of identity are obstacles in the pursuit of a just future. Individuals and communities continue to be denied opportunities in education, housing, healthcare, employment, and criminal and immigration legal systems due to racial inequities in our institutions. Recognizing the historical roots and particular impact of racial and ethnic discrimination on NSC clients, students, and staff, NSC will devote increased attention to issues of racial justice. NSC is committed to advancing justice and expanding opportunities for all by taking actions, both internal and external, to achieve these goals.
NSC is committed to excellence in the services we provide to immigrant communities. We recognize that a diversity of ideas, expertise, and lived experiences, both professional and personal, is critical to fulfilling our commitment. NSC’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee will recommend and implement specific actions to promote diversity and inclusion and to prioritize racial/ethnic equity in our services and advocacy, and in our engagement with our communities, and in our recruitment, hiring, and promotion decisions.
The Committee’s shared purpose:
- Support NSC’s commitment to advance racial and social justice in our communities by ensuring that our services, programs, and our strategic advocacy challenge xenophobia, discrimination, and systemic racism.
- Foster an organizational environment that recognizes the inherent dignity of each individual, celebrates cultural and linguistic diversity, and enables staff, students, and clients to feel valued, respected, and safe.
- Cultivate and retain a diverse and inclusive staff, with a deep knowledge of and commitment to the immigrants we serve, and which is representative of our clients and students.
- Develop an inclusive approach to partnerships and procurement to advance racial and social justice.
- As the Committee and its work develops, subcommittees may be created to discuss and propose ideas on these topics for the Committee and NSC management to consider and implement.