Our program is open to all adults (over 16) interested in learning English!
To register for classes, come to NSC during the enrollment period.
- We offer rolling enrollment in four sessions a year (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall).
- We offer in-person classes (at the NSC office).
- Classes meet twice a week, for 10 weeks in-person (2 hours each session, $180 per student - includes workbook)
- Seven levels of classes are offered, from Beginner to Advanced
- We offer online classes (Zoom)
- Online classes meet twice a week, for 8 weeks online (1.5 hours each session, $125 per student)
- Four levels of classes are offered, from Beginner to Advanced
- Classes are focused on speaking.
- Students receive a certificate for attending half the class sessions or more.
To register as a new student for Summer 2023:
- Fill out the Student Information Form
- Participate in an English assessment
- Please come to NSC after May 22, Monday-Thursday, from 9 am-6 pm
- Contact us by phone if you cannot come to the office during these hours.
- Choose your class time and pay (cash or credit)
Call us (215) 609-1525 or email Betsy O'Neil Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help with registering OR if you are a returning student.
We use an integrated skills approach that combines skills in the classroom for a richer learning experience. By integrating all language skills — listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary — we help students learn the whole of the language, rather than specific pieces. For In-person classes, NSC offers Integrated Skills at seven different proficiency levels. For online classes, NSC offers the following four levels:
Students learn fundamental language skills needed in the classroom and in daily life, with emphasis on speaking and listening.
Students develop language skills beyond survival English, in order to respond appropriately and independently in familiar situations.
Students refine language skills and develop the ability to use English spontaneously and in some unfamiliar situations.
Students refine fluency and communication skills and begin to express complex ideas with fluency and accuracy, including developing control of advanced grammatical structures.
Facts about our program:
- Top languages spoken by NSC English Language Learners: Spanish, Mandarin, French, Arabic, Portuguese.
- In 2019-20, we served 465 students.
- In 2020-21, we filled 67 ESOL Volunteer Teacher slots.