Family Literacy Program
The program aims to work with families with children between the ages from zero to eight years old who speak Arabic, Dari/Pashto, and Swahili/Kinyarwanda. The goal is to help immigrant parents improve their parenting and literacy skills and to assist them in promoting their children’s educational development.
The program consists of three components:
- English Instruction:
- We offer in-person and online classes twice a week.
- Four levels of classes are offered from Pre-Literate to Intermediate.
- Parent Enrichment Classes that help parents navigate the American education system and other skills to support their child's educational development, such as the importance of bedtimes, limiting screen time, and positive discipline.
- Interactive Literacy Activities that provide opportunities for parents and children to do literacy activities together at home like reading books or practicing handwriting.
- Program first launched its summer session May 2021 and ran for nine weeks.
- Since the program's launch, we have served 136 families.