Afghanistan: Resources and How You Can Help
Please check out the National Welcome Council's new website, Welcome.US, to welcome new Afghan arrivals to the United States.
IF YOU NEED HELP
- See these Resources for Afghan Allies.
- See the State Department's page for Afghanistan Inquiries.
- Contact Adi Altman, NSC’s Manager of Welcome and Community Supports, at email@example.com.
IF YOU WANT TO HELP
- Donate to our Transforming Welcoming fund to ensure that all incoming refugees have a good start at a new life.
- If your business is in a position to donate goods, appliances, or services (e.g., cell phones, housecleaning, laptops), please contact Adi Altman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arrange to drive an arriving family from PHL International Airport to their new home.
- Set up homes so that new arrivals have a safe, comfortable place to land.
- Make or donate Afghan meals so we can provide culturally-appropriate dinners on arrival.
- Contact your Congressional reps and demand that the US government immediately evacuate all Afghan allies stuck in Afghanistan. Find your reps here.
DONATE TO OUR PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS:
NSC does not currently accept clothing donations, but we do partner with several organizations that provide clothing to our clients and families. We encourage financial and in-kind donations to the follow organizations:
Cradles to Crayons: Cradles to Crayons provides children from birth through age 12, living in homeless or low-income situations, with the essential items they need to thrive – at home, at school and at play. We supply these items free of charge by engaging and connecting communities.
The Wardrobe: The Wardrobe provides a stable source of well-maintained and displayed clothing that is suitable for any need, from casual to workwear. While the clothing is available for sale, it is also free to anyone referred, and The Wardrobe consultation experience is priceless.
JCFS’ Our Closet: Jewish Family and Children's Services' (JFCS) free clothing program, Our Closet, provides emergency packages for community members in urgent need during the COVID-19 crisis.
Furniture and Household Goods
NSC does not currently accept furniture donations, but we do partner with furniture warehouses to provide furniture for arriving families. We encourage donations to:
Philadelphia Furniture Bank: Pathway’s to Housing’s Furniture Bank serves as a centralized resource for furniture for human service organizations from across Philadelphia. Member agencies schedule appointments for their clients who then visit our showroom floor to choose their furniture to start fresh as they move out of homelessness. Each individual or family receives a full home’s worth of furniture, including brand new bedding.
Uhuru Furniture and Collectibles: Uhuru provides fast and free pick up of furniture and distributes it at low or no cost. Uhuru also strives to develop and institutionalize programs to defend the human and civil rights of the African community, and to address the grave disparities in education, health, health care and economic development in the African community.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
- For information about humanitarian parole, please see this snapshot from USCRI.
- Find local efforts to help at Generocity Philly.